Explore The Church
THE 20TH CENTURY
Little was done to the fabric of the church in the first half of the 20th century. However, a new organ (by the London-based organ builder Alfred Oldknow) was installed in 1901, the cost of £351 having been met from the proceeds of a bazaar held in the grounds of Samarès Manor.
A new west window was donated in 1905 by John Le Brocq depicting King Solomon, an unusual subject for a window. A clock was given by Jurat George Crill in 1919 in memory of his great-grandfather Rev David Hocquard (Rector from 1804-1822). A new pulpit, to replace the existing previous Caen stone pulpit, was dedicated on 4th September 1922.
The old oil lamps were removed in the summer of 1930 and electricity finally came to St Clement’s Church, but the round holes for the old lamp stands can still be seen in the music desks of the choir stalls!
Lady Knott of Samarès Manor offered a carillon of bells in 1936, but so many difficulties arose that the project was abandoned. In 1953, however, a further offer of a gift by la Dame de Samarès in memory of her second husband (Commander Edward Owen Obbard D.S.C., G.M., R.N., Jurat of the Royal Court, who died on 10th March 1951) was accepted gratefully. This took the form of an oak screen separating the north side of the sanctuary from the ancient north chapel, so making a large vestry.
Three new windows were installed in the nave in the 1950s: the St Clement and St Nicholas windows in memory of Rev C.W. Balleine, and the Norman window depicting Sir Galahad. These were supplied and fitted by H. A. Anderson of Waterloo Street, St Helier.
New altar-rails were added in 1955, and in 1959 the 1880 altar and reredos were replaced by the present-day altar and reredos, along with riddel posts and curtains. However, the reredos did not meet with universal approval, so in 1963 the harsh colour scheme was toned down and the St Clement coat-of-arms, together with the “three leopards” of Jersey, were removed.
A treasury was built into the wall of the north transept in 1962 to house the church silver. Among the ancient and modern plate is the Dumaresq baptismal dish, which was presented by a former Connétable, Hélier Dumaresq, to mark the baptism of his daughter, Ester, on 10th April 1702. He now lies buried close to his memorial on the east wall of the south transept. In 1975 a board displaying details of the Rectors going back to 1302 was given by Brigadier W. A. and Mrs Anderton. A lectern, designed in light oak by Richard Stevens of Norwich, was given in 1983, replacing the Marett lectern of 1880.
In the year 2000, a number of pews were removed from the west end of the nave to create a welcome area and wall space, where aspects of the church’s life and mission are displayed.